It’s December, and you know what that means: Winter is about to hit full-force. Luckily, cold weather accessories are often functional and fashionable, but not always cheap. Rather than spending a pretty penny on new gloves, why not spice up an old pair you already own with some faux fur? In fact, these cost me less than $30 to make! So save your hard-earned cash and create a winter-worthy chic accessory that’s all your own.
- Pair of leather or faux leather gloves
- Faux fur (at least 50 x 55 cm )
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Straight pins
- Thin paint brush
- Fabric glue
- Strong craft glue (such as E6000)
- Glue applicator (wooden popsicle stick works just fine)
- Measuring tape
- Heavy books
- Cut the faux fur into two segments measuring 22 by 28 cm each.
Expert tip: Before each cut, moisten a paper towel with water and run it over the scissor’s blades. This will make the fur more manageable to work with. You can also run a lint roller over your work space to pick up any fly away hairs.
- Cut a 1 by 1 cm square out of each corner. This will create a “foldable” edge along each side.
- Turn the fur over. Using the paintbrush, apply a thin layer of fabric glue along the top edge.
- Fold over and press down to secure. Repeat with the remaining three sides.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the second segment of faux fur.
- Let dry for 24 hours. To ensure that the edges stay flat, place a few heavy books on top for extra security.
- Once dry, fold the faux fur in half so that the shorter edges meet and the “wrong” underside is facing you.
- Pin the shorter edges together.
- Sew the layers together using a whipstitch. Each stitch should be 0,5 cm away from the vertical edge.
- Tie the thread and trim the excess.
- Turn right side out. You have completed one faux fur “tube.”
- Apply a line of strong craft glue to the glove, 2 inches from the bottom. Apply another thin line of glue, 1 inch from the bottom.
- Carefully insert the glove into the faux fur tube. Press down firmly.
- Turn over and add glue to the other side of the glove, right under where the faux fur will sit.
- Repeat steps 8-14 for the second glove.